Discovery 300tdi clutch

If you're stuck with something, ask the question here..

Discovery 300tdi clutch

Postby stiv » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am

I've been 'nursing' a slipping clutch for several months now, but it's getting quite bad and really needs changing.I want to have a go at doing it myself, as it doesn't sound too difficult, as jobs go, but I worry that I might be a little under-equipped (tools and experience!).

After a little searching I'm not too sure how best to start, as some say to take the engine out, others to drop the gearbox/transfer box...

I should be most grateful for your thoughts, tips, advice, techniques, etc...
stiv

Re: Discovery 300tdi clutch

Postby Grunt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Ive only got experience of my 90, and having done it both ways found it easier to remove the gearbox if I was doing it by myself, though you do need to make a lifting rig that fits inside the cab. Which will probably be even more difficult on a Disco. If you've got someone to help waggle, heave and shove I reckon taking the engine out may be easier. With the turbo diesel engine only special tool needed is a clutch alignment tool.
Grunt

Postby Grunt » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Which will probably be even more difficult on a Disco
Or even impossible, you can take the floor out on a 90.
Grunt

Postby C@sp@r » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Handling a gearbox under the car could be a quite awkward, heavy, task. If you have a lift and transmission stand, possibly preferred option. Can you reach all the bolts from below? Do you know what the manual says?
1953 TEA 20
C@sp@r

Postby stiv » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I do have the Haynes manual , which suggests taking the engine out as the easiest option, if no other work is forseen on the transfer/gearbox, but you do need some kind of overhead hoist, and likely, as you suggest Grunt, an assistant, otherwise dropping the box seems to be more popular, but once again some way of supporting the weight and possibly an assistant...

Access is possible from the inside by removing the centre console, gear levers and associated gubbins. A suggestion is to use heavy duty trestles each side, with a solid bar passed through the windows and a block and tackle to support the gearbox. It should then be possible to slide it back enough to gain access to the clutch (it says here...).

I don't have a transmission stand, C@sp@r, and apparently the bolts on the top of the housing are very difficult to get at, but it may still be my best option, as removing the engine sounds more complicated with my limited equipment... And I'm likely, of course, to find other problems while I'm down there...
stiv

Return to Land Rover Questions and Answers