My Shed

Sheds are very popular.. so lets talk about yours..

Re: My Shed

Postby Grunt » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:48 pm

minus 2' C is just too cold for my old bones .
Positively balmy.
Grunt

Re: My Shed , The deck

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:49 am

It's taken a while , almost 24 years since I built the verandah at the back of the house at Hiawatha , the deck was supposed to follow fairly soon after .
Still better late than never and it will provide a place to sit and enjoy a beer . The only downside to it is that I won't be able to park the Fergie there at lunchtimes anymore .

deck(1).jpg
deck(1).jpg (139.99 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Still at the framing stage , I need to find a durable decking timber that's wide enough to suit the proportions of the building and that won't break the bank .
It doesn't look too big in the photo but it's 10 metres long across the rear and 5 down each side , a lot of screws needed in the near future , no way would my arthritic elbow stand up to nailing all that decking down .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Grunt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:07 pm

almost 24 years since I built the verandah at the back of the house at Hiawatha , the deck was supposed to follow fairly soon after .
I’m saying nothing!

no way would my arthritic elbow stand up to nailing all that decking down
. I’ve got the same elbow problem and have considered getting a nail gun, though I’ve not done any research on them.
Grunt

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 pm

A nail gun is of no use in this circumstance Grunt , all they do is split the decking apart , especially at the ends . If nailing , each hole has to be predrilled so it is just as much work as using screws .
There are now some nifty stainless screws with either torx or square head drives that countersink themselves . They are also touted to be self drilling so if they actually work I might try using them .
Hiawatha

Postby pcp20us » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:01 am

24 years, you sure your not from QLD mate...

I like the look of that building on the left and the countryside. I do miss the countryside of Victoria.

I recon a set of ramps and you can still park on the veradah :grin:
TED 20's everywhere
QLD Australia
pcp20us

Postby Fergymal » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:10 am

pcp20us wrote:I like the look of that building on the left and the countryside. I do miss the countryside of Victoria.

It was an old school house, wasn't it Charles?
Mal
1948 TEA 20 showpony
1955 TEA 20 for tractor treks
1956 TEC 20 showpony
1954 TED 20 farm tractor
1955 TEF 20 to be restored
1957 FE35 Diesel under restoration for show
Fergymal

Postby Hiawatha » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 am

Yes Mal it was, built in 1915 .
The building on the left was a shelter shed added in the mid fifties . When I first bought the place in '92 it had collapsed , was leaning at an alarming angle and sitting on the ground .
Feral goats used to use it as a Winter shelter , I had to put a gate across the opening to keep them out in the first year or two .
It's now a small store room , bathroom and guest cottage , the main building is the principal living area .
Anyone used Blackbutt timber decking ? It looks good and is half reasonable in price .
Hiawatha

Postby C@sp@r » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

Hiawatha wrote:A nail gun is of no use in this circumstance Grunt , all they do is split the decking apart , especially at the ends . If nailing , each hole has to be predrilled so it is just as much work as using screws .
There are now some nifty stainless screws with either torx or square head drives that countersink themselves . They are also touted to be self drilling so if they actually work I might try using them .

Over here, screws with torx heads are used all the time for decking. Works very nice an efficient. About material quality, if using impregnated wood, they should be stainless, due to the acids in the wood increasing corrosion of the screws.
1953 TEA 20
C@sp@r

Postby White Wolf » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:54 am

I have milled Blackbutt. I remember it being very heavy to handle and had a nice pink colour. Check out this link http://www.itslimited.com.au/docs/Austr ... sGuide.pdf
Most of the timbers I milled were Messmate and Mountain/Alpine Ash. I much prefer working with messmate than ash as it is a much denser timber that does not feather like ash. As shown in the linked chart you will see that Messmate is denser, heavier and more durable than Ash. Blackbutt is denser and more durable than Messmate. I think that Blackbutt would be suitable for your decking because it has a great durability rating. The off side is that I expect that you will need to pre-drill all screw holes with a good quality drill bit. I think if you attempt to use the fancy self drilling screws that you mentioned earlier they will either snap or strip the heads. You may find the fluting in the drill bits clog too. Don't use DeWalt drill bits, I suspect some of the studds in my old house were Blackbutt and there are a number of snapped bits hiding in the plaster (the studds were to hard for the soft sheeting nails available these days).
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Hiawatha » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:51 am

Thanks WW just the experienced advice I needed. :smile:
Hiawatha

Previous

Return to Sheds