Greetings from Across the Pond

Why not introduce yourself to everyone..

Greetings from Across the Pond

Postby fineoldferg » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Hey folks just joined from the colonies and saying hello. Live outside Toronto, Canada and use my trusty TEA-20 to prowl the logging roads of woodland Ontario. Not much farming to be done but she is a great dragger of gravel, leveller of roads, hauler of wood, launcher of boats and all-round go-getter. In other lifetimes she was reportedly used to push airplanes about a local town airport.

Here she is helping get our subdivision out from snowed-in status some winters ago. When there was no sign of the town plows for two days, it was Fergie to the rescue! Took four straight hours and she didn't miss a beat. I had neighbours out in their boots cheering us on, offering me money for fuel and and one dear woman even held out a wee nip o brandy to stave off the cold.

If anyone wants to come along for a fall ride you can do so here

https://youtu.be/nzyLiM-97So

Hoping to learn lots from this group. I have some brake issues to sort and a minor but persistent knock to chase down
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (153.5 KiB) Viewed 485 times
"Good quality work, like good quality feed, commands a fair price. If however you are content with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper..." - Anonymous
fineoldferg

Re: Greetings from Across the Pond

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Welcome to the forum FoF :smile:

There is nothing quite like a Fergie to bring smiles out in the neighbourhood .

Your small knock might just be caused by a gudgeon [ wrist] pin , the Standard engine is known for this . The problem is minor and usually causes no trouble .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby C@sp@r » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 am

Hi, welcome to the forum! Always nice to see a Fergie being used :smile: .
1953 TEA 20
C@sp@r

Postby fineoldferg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Hiawatha wrote:Welcome to the forum FoF :smile:

There is nothing quite like a Fergie to bring smiles out in the neighbourhood .

Your small knock might just be caused by a gudgeon [ wrist] pin , the Standard engine is known for this . The problem is minor and usually causes no trouble .

Thanks for the welcome and this bit of good news. I hate to hear an unhappy engine. It's kind of a skipping, not quite constant rattle and clunk. Pulling the plug wire off that cylinder will stop it. Most pronounced upon cold start then settles down in intensity as she warms.

Next oil change I was going to have a look at the play at the crank on this piston (nearest the driver) perhaps work up the courage to unbolt the big end for a gander at the shells. I've heard you can actually nudge the piston up just enough to slide the top shell around and out too?

An old timer when asked about it several years ago said to me, " it's probably been knockin before you were born and will still be knockin long after we're gone..."

Still......
"Good quality work, like good quality feed, commands a fair price. If however you are content with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper..." - Anonymous
fineoldferg

Postby Moose » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Hey, welcome to this Forum. I have read all your posts on that other Forum that we both belong to. ;)
There are not many Canucks here, so I welcome the company. :smile: We only live a few hours apart.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby fineoldferg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 am

Thanks very much Moose! I've been reading yours with interest too. Figured I'd pick a more appropriate handle over here...a true cart before horse story...literally! :grin:
fineoldferg

Return to Members Introductions