Bonjour !!

Why not introduce yourself to everyone..

Bonjour !!

Postby Le Gris fergie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi everyone
I'm chris and I am very proud to have recently become a fergie owner !
At 57 yrs old it's come a bit later than I would have liked ! but hey I got one and she is currently parked under a cover on my drive way in darkest deepest Essex (she still has her original Essex registration number too)

I have owned her about three months but alas I have not used her at all yet and will shortly be giving her battery a good charge and have a pootle around my local lanes .
She will have too work to earn her keep though so she won't be a museum piece !
Looking forwards to asking all those same daft old questions all us newbies ask, badgering people for opinions on this and that and probably buggering up something along the way and posting a thread asking for "HELP" !!.

Oh and why bonjour ?
My wife and I are moving lock stock and barrel to central France soon ! And Le Gris Fergie (the grey fergie) will be coming along too ! She has twenty five acres to play with !!.
1952 ted 20......."Bertie"...Le Gris Fergie.....(the grey Fergie)
Le Gris fergie

Re: Bonjour !!

Postby Le Gris fergie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:51 pm

image.jpeg
Bertie
image.jpeg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Last edited by Le Gris fergie on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Gris fergie

Postby C@sp@r » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!
1953 TEA 20
C@sp@r

Postby Grunt » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 am

Hello there Chris.

It’s been a bit quiet on here lately so we’ll welcome a few questions. I don’t want to dampen your spirits but I recently read an article in Old Bike Mart where a couple had a property in France and wanted to keep their motorbike there permanently. Apparently they had that much hassle from the French authorities they gave up and brought the motorbike back to the U.K. I’ll see if I can find the article to refresh my memory.
Grunt

Postby Le Gris fergie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 am

Hi there,
I also have a kit car (lotus 7 replica) which to all accounts will never get a French number plate as kit cars and "replicas" are not really recognised as cars and cause beaurocratic nightmares ! (it's not finished so doesn't have a uk reg either!) but it will go over and get taken to a few track days if I ever complete it.
Getting cars, bikes,vans registered is a real faff but it's just a matter of getting all the paperwork in order and they love paperwork,,,,,,old classic vehicles can be troublesome but not impossible ,,,,,,,as with any government in any country there are horror stories but for every failure there are hundreds of successes I'm just hoping too succeed haha.
The plan will be to use Bertie on the farm in France but also come back to the uk with it regular and enter a few plough matches so I won't be keeping it in France permanently as my twin brother will look after her in his warm garage all winter I hope ! ,,,,,he doesn't know yet !
Le Gris fergie

Postby stiv » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Salut Chris, et bienvenue sur le forum!

You're right Grunt, it has been a bit quiet recently. I thought you might all be lolling about on sunny beaches somewhere, lazily inventing, over a pitcher of the local beer and whisky cocktail, mechanical donkeys for giving mechanical donkey rides or something... I've barely touched the Fergie these past few weeks, busy with other, necessary things, though I did take a few fallen, autumn leaves off the seat the other day.

There can be problems when importing vehicules into France, and it's nearly always, as far as I'm aware, to do with conforming to french road regs.

I imported an english Citroen BX when I came to France and it took a couple of months for me to be able to register it on french plates. I needed to change the headlights for driving on the right, obviously, and a quick trip to a local breakers yard sorted that out cheap and easy, otherwise it was just waiting for the paperwork to be sorted (France does indeed tend to be a bit long winded in the 'triplicate' paperwork department), then a 'controle technique' (the french MOT), and all was fine. I guess motorbikes have to change the headlight too.

In some cases, such as someone I know who imported an american LH drive Suzuki Vitara, they had more trouble, and needed to change all the lights front and rear and other bits too. I know, also, a young french couple who bought a small, secondhand Mercedes lorry in Germany, with the intention of turning it into a camper van, and it took them many months before they could register it in France. Difficult to imagine much difference between a german and french vehicule but... Voila les bureaucrates! (spelt with an 'e' in french... Fair enough, it was their word originaly, and they've borrowed sandwich and weekend from us without changing the spelling. Probably too much paperwork involved...).

Unless you intend to use your Fergie (commonly known in France as 'le petit gris' - the little grey) on the road, Chris, you should have no trouble at all, as you shouldn't need to register it. Then again, this is France...

It's a dark, grey, wet and windy day here today, and all this Fergie talk has inspired me. I think I'll put the mudgaurds back on (at last).

À plus mes amis.
stiv

Postby Le Gris fergie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:44 pm

things have looked a little quiet on here I have to admit iv been lurking about but not posting but it's good ,,,,no it's great to see people helping and inspiring others and passing on hard won skills.
I'm no fully qualified mechanic but I get by.
It's great to know there are some forum members in France .
I won't register Bertie in France he is going to be used on the farm with very little road use in fact I'm lucky in that I don't have to use our lane to access all our fields as they are all connected.
Will soon be asking questions on implements as I plan to plough,ridge potatoes , Harrow,etc etc and have no clue as yet but I'll leave that for the right topic and not in the welcome page......thanks to all who have said hi so far......
Chris.....ps my French is terrible iv gotta try harder to make time and learn ,,,,moving over around Xmas or earlier if I can find a sweep to fit my 3 chimneys with flu liner as iv no heating there yet ! Or electric,,,,,,or plumbing,,,,,,well not much electric and hardly any plumbing haha oh the joy of a restoration project haha.
Le Gris fergie

Postby stiv » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Le Gris fergie wrote:well not much electric and hardly any plumbing haha oh the joy of a restoration project haha.

Yep, that sounds about right!

Try this small adds website, it's the most popular in France. It'll whet your appetite and you'll learn a few words at the same time.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/

Tap on your region on the map and then search under 'materiel agricole'. There's all sorts of stuff...

And no, the mudgaurds aren't fitted, for a greater power than I decided that my time would be better spent dusting and de-cobwebbing the hall and landing ceiling beams and the staircase. Who was I to argue...
stiv

Postby Le Gris fergie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm

Hey that link is great thanks a lot !
My wife and I will be in the haute vienne ,,,on the edge of limousin where are you ?

Chris
Le Gris fergie

Postby stiv » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm further south, in the Gers.
stiv

Next

Return to Members Introductions