Hydraulic lift "bounce"

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Re: Hydraulic lift "bounce"

Postby stiv » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:03 pm

As it happens, the wind died and I set about checking the quadrant settings - I had to use a normal spanner in the end...

However, the position of the lever where the arms start to descend is way toward the bottom of the quadrant, and nowhere near the 2.25" from the top setting...
Quadrant lever engagement position-600x337.JPG
Quadrant lever engagement position-600x337.JPG (82.25 KiB) Viewed 224 times

The which suggests, to my untrained mind, that there is an internal problem, and that I will simply have to get the back off it and have a look.

Ho, hum...

Just to add, that while I had the bolts undone, I tried the quadrant pushed towards the rear of the tractor and the arms would not descend at all. The only position that worked was with the quadrant pushed towards the front of the tractor. Also, and I'm not sure how much difference it makes, I only had the box on, which isn't that heavy, even though I put some heavy things in it.
stiv

Postby Grunt » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:43 pm

The linkage between the two levers looks like it’s got an extra hole in it. If it has been mucked about with and not the right length it’ll alter the whole Pythagorusness of the linkage. If you measure yours I’ll measure mine and we’ll compare sizes.
Grunt

Postby stiv » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:49 pm

I say, you clever old chap... What we might be dealing with is, in fact, more of a Monty Pythagoras theorem!

It might still be a little chilly tomorrow, but I'll measure it anyway, and we'll see!

In fact the linkage is very wobbly and the bolt has definitely been an after thought, as it's very modern and it's double nutted to boot.
stiv

Postby Grunt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 am

I’ve just conducted the Spanish Inquisition and mines 4 & 15/16” between centres.
Grunt

Postby stiv » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks Grunt, mine appears to be 3 & 3/16"... And just for good measure the 'middle' hole is at 3 & 3/32"...

Looking at a french parts catalogue for the FF30GS (the petrol version) the quadrant set up is different, without these links and connecting straight through the centre of the main lever. It seems to show a different top cover too... I'll try and get a photo of it, just for comparison purposes.

In the meantime I'll double check mine, which I think is the same as in the TEF20 parts manual.

I'll be back...
stiv

Postby Grunt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 pm

The TEF quadrant is set further forwards than all the others which don’t have the link. It’s to make room for a second six volt battery.

Are your arms the same length, mine are. It may be an optical illusion but your lever arm looks longer.
Grunt

Postby stiv » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Ah, yes. I did wonder about there being a difference, as there is with other things, between petrol and diesel models, but I couldn't think why. Two batteries for more starting 'oomph' I guess...

The arms are identical, 10cm (3 & 15/16"), as near as is possible to measure with the kink in the RH/lever one.

Since taking it apart, giving the left arm a good wiggllng clockwise and anti, stop to stop, and replacing the over long, double nutted, 4mm cheese head screw with a 6mm nut and bolt, the problem has lessened, and the lift is much better (though still not as described in the manual), and without judder, apart from a little at midway, It's now liveable with, though the day will come for a closer look.

Thanks again for your help.

'Judder' - Another nice word :

Waiter: Would you like dessert, sir?
Diner: Oh yes... I'll have a slice of Judder please... With custard.
stiv

Previous

Return to General Ferguson Discussion