Oil for my rear end!?

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Re: Oil for my rear end!?

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:57 am

:crylaughing: ha!, excellent posts and great advice, thank you all!
Tim

Postby Grunt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm

I’ll put my vote to the cause of the homemade gasket. In my experience bought ones particularly for Fergies are only fit for lighting fires. I bought a complete gasket set for my Triumph because some of them are wire reinforced. It was made for, or by, Harris. Every gasket fitted perfectly, it’s another case of Fergie owners having to settle for sub standard parts.
Grunt

Postby Grunt » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Just YouTubed gasket making, there’s a lot of crap out there. The first one I saw I had to stop watching cos I don’t like the sight of blood and if he carried on much longer with the Stanley knife he’d be missing a few fingers. The second one involved belting the gasket paper over the part with a hammer, it would end up that bruised I’d be surprised if he got it fitted.

Any how, I place the paper over the part and rub over it with my thumb this leaves a good enough mark to cut round with scissors. I use the roundy end of a ballpein hammer to gently mark the bolt holes, and wad punches to cut the holes. On larger gaskets mark off and make two or more bolt holes and hold the gasket in place on the part with studs to mark the rest out. To get a decent larger round hole I use a pair of dividers, if they are sharp enough they will cut through the paper.
Grunt

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:42 am

Well, thanks again fella’s for your help and advice, I have now drained off all the old oil and refilled with lovely new stuff!, sadly I still have the same problem, to whit, arms go up and down great under no load but as soon as I fit my link box nothing happens.
I’ve tried researching the problem on here but now have “information overload “!, could someone point me in the right direction?, :shock:
Tim

Postby Grunt » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Does it drop without the top link attached and is the top link attached to the knuckle on the spring. Try putting some weight on the rear of the box to tip it backwards therefore pulling the top link backwards. If everything works as it should then the problem is with the adjustment of the top link knuckle and the spring, and/or the length of the top link.
Grunt

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:49 pm

Thanks grunt, top link is attached to the top of the knuckle with nothing attached arms go up and down fine, when link box is fitted still won’t rise even with two of us giving it physical encouragement although it is trying
Tim

Postby C@sp@r » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Possibly the overpressure valve is opening too soon. Cleaning might be sufficient already.
1953 TEA 20
C@sp@r

Postby Grunt » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:19 am

From what I can make out my guess would be that with the configuration of the top link the arm is pushing on the rod that runs through the spring, through linkages in the transmission housing this moves the control valve causing the arms to drop.

This is a safety device which is there so that if an underground obstruction is hit when ploughing the plough is lowered, therefore removing traction to the rear wheels. Causing the wheels to spin and loose forward motion before anything can break.

The remedy may simply be down to altering the length of the top link arm to stop it pushing on the spring. Or attaching to the lower top link with the articulated pin. You’ll have to make a connecting device as no one seems to well them.

Sorry, The middle sentence of my last post is wrong now that I’ve re read it. I was trying to explain how to apply a load to the box so that it pulled on the top link rather than pushed on it.
Grunt

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks grunt, you’ve made it perfectly clear!, I’ll get fabricating.
Tim

Previous

Return to General Ferguson Discussion