Battery

This is the place for general Fergie chat..
Tim

Battery

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am

Anyone got an idea what cca and ah battery required for a TEF20 diesel?

stiv
France

Re: Battery

Post by stiv » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:53 am

I bought one for my tractor recently, as I bought it without battery. Around 100Ah seems to be the norm in 12v.

Mine is actually 91Ah, as it's all the shop had with the right dimensions, and it seems more than adequate. No cca number, as it happens.

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks stiv, mines wired up negative earth but I note that originally it was the other way round, or should it be positive earth and the previous owner fitted the battery incorrectly?

Moose
Canada

Post by Moose » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:56 pm

Does your TEF have a generator or has it been changed to an alternator? An alternator set-up is always negative ground.

As for the battery, the post placements and the physical dimensions to fit the space are the most important. If you live where it gets well below freezing in winter, than the largest CCA available is important.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:snowman: :wink1:

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi moose, it’s still got the old dynamo/generator, so if I understand you correctly it should be positive earth?

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 pm

The tractor may be either positive or negative earth if it has a dynamo fitted Tim . The process to change over is simple and quick so it may or may not have been changed in the past .

Alternators , as Moose says are usually negative to earth , only a few rare ones are positive to earth .
Most positive to negative earth conversions are down to the fitting of an alternator or the preference by the owner , who is worried that they may become confused after being so familiar with car battery configurations.

It will be difficult to determine just what the polarity might be at the moment , it is far easier to decide on just what you want and convert it directly to that before fitting a battery and mucking about trying to see if the generator/dynamo outputs one way or the other .

So decide on what polarity you want , positive to earth is how it left the factory . Then ;

There are two terminals on the generator ,the smallest of these is the field terminal, or terminal A . With the engine turned off ,disconnect both of these generator terminals. Connect the battery in the polarity configuration you need , that is if wanting negative to earth then wire the negative cable of the battery to the chassis if the tractor and visa-versa for positive to earth if wanting to restore wiring to original . Connect a medium gauge length of wire to the terminal of the battery that is not connected to earth. Contact or brush the end of this wire with the field terminal [ the small one ] for a few seconds or until you get a spark , do this two or three times briefly no more than a few seconds at a time. Once done discard this wire and connect the generator as before. Test by starting the engine and running at half to two thirds throttle.,it should charge at approximately 15 volts or more .Charge light should act normally , the regulator is electro mechanical, it is not polarity sensitive , so it is much the same as a starter motor , quite happy whichever way the current flows.
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Moose
Canada

Post by Moose » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

If you do not know which ground +ve or -ve, you want, if you use +ve ground it matches the factory wiring diagrams. :smile:
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:snowman: :wink1:

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am

When I got mine I got one for a 1989 diesel Land Rover 90 (Defender), I’m not sure of the CCA but it works well and I can swap it over with my Landy battery every now and again to keep it properly charged.

I’m not certain but the two poles on the battery may be different sizes so it can’t be fitted the wrong way round. Obviously if you make your own cables up this won’t be a problem, but if you fit a battery isolator I’ve a feeling you’ll only get one to fit a negative pole.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Thanks for that, I’ll do that when my new battery arrives tomorrow, thanks for the help :thumbsup:

stiv
France

Post by stiv » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Grunt wrote:I’m not certain but the two poles on the battery may be different sizes so it can’t be fitted the wrong way round
Quite right. Positive is larger than negative.

Although I bought my tractor without a battery (I'm sure he'd have kept the light bulbs and door knobs too if there'd been any) I could see straight away, by the terminal clamp, that it was positive earth.