Rear Tyres

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Rear Tyres

Postby K1275blue » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:44 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum & would like some info about Tea20 rear tyres.
Does anyone know was it usual to fill the rear tyres with water to increase ballast? Also is it possible (or worth while) to get 2nd hand tyres.
Thanks K1275
K1275blue

Re: Rear Tyres

Postby Moose » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Yes, many farmers did add weight to the rear tires. Here in Canada, where freezing is normal, it would have been a calcium chloride solution. I would never do it. I chose to use chains instead. The rims can rust out incredibly fast. But, more important, you now have converted a 150 lb wheel into a 300 lb wheel. Very dangerous to handle with only one person.
I have bought used tires. Take a close look for age cracks. Splits may not be far behind if you have cracks.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby Grunt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 am

If your in the U.K. eBay usually has second hand tyres. I sold a couple of rears with rims a while ago that as far as I’m concerned were only fit for garden ornaments but the bloke that bought them was very happy with, I’ll give him a cheery wave as I pass him when they give up the ghost at some awkward moment.

What are you intending to do that needs the water for extra ballast? As Moose has hinted at, its not recommended and under normal circumstances not needed, the manual states categorically not to do it, I imagine it could get quite exciting to have a few gallons of water sloshing about. I reckon that another reason for using water was because not every farmer would have an air compressor, I doubt any tractor driver would relish pumping a rear tyre up with a foot pump, but just about everyone has a hose pipe.
Grunt

Postby K1275blue » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
K1275blue

Return to General Ferguson Discussion