Engine knocking

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Re: Engine knocking

Postby Mr gear » Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Im quite tempted to take the gamble and do the big end.
The dealer will give me the parts i need an probably do me a deal on anything else I need.
Everything else is sweet on this tractor. Nothing leaks, new battery and starter new exaust, 12v conversion, pto upgrade, hydraulics are good ,road registered.
Who knows what problems a different fergie will have.

Its not the end of the world if the field isnt cut for a few weeks i guess.
Mr gear

Postby Grunt » Tue May 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Keep us posted as to how you get on.
Grunt

Postby Mr gear » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm

I will keep you posted.

I just find it weird how the dealer is saying its not really the tractor for me. And he reminded me that he had said that i will need to tinker with it alot, which I said im fine with.

But i dont class rebuilding bottom end as tinkering.
Iv told him im a maintenance engineer and home mechanic and im happy fixing stuff no problem.

If i rebuild the whole engine surly ill be good with that tractor for years.

Am i right in thinking its about 1k to get a reconditioned engine?
I could do that then recon mine and sell it on later

Also i presume all the nuts and bolts are imperial on a fergie is this true?
Mr gear

Postby Hiawatha » Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 am

All AF , the most common being 11/16ths and 1, 1/16th "". Six volt and 12 volt blocks are not interchangeable. Only a six volt block will bolt onto your transmission housing to allow the starter to mate correctly.
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Grunt » Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 am

If it as been rebuilt properly then the only tinkering for years to come will be normal servicing, and if they are only used for light duties then there’s no reason they shouldn’t keep on running until fuel runs out. The fact that they have existed until now with very little maintenance is testament to how well they were built in the first place.

I wouldn’t know what you will pay for a rebuilt engine. But I would be wary of getting one, there are plenty of people out there who consider a paint brush the only tool you will need for a full restoration.

As H has said the nuts and bolts are A/F. The threads are predominantly UNF and UNC.
Grunt

Postby Fender96 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am

Mr gear wrote:Thanks for the advice.

The dealer will give me the parts i need an probably do me a deal on anything else I need.
Everything else is sweet on this tractor. Nothing leaks, new battery and starter new exaust, 12v conversion, pto upgrade, hydraulics are good ,road registered.

It is hard to see but from the video it looks like the bellhousing casting could be for a 12v (long) starter motor rather than the shorter 6v one.

44D2D722-ED76-4602-9E0A-8B76F8432B80.png
44D2D722-ED76-4602-9E0A-8B76F8432B80.png (237.35 KiB) Viewed 166 times

If so, then your tractor would have left the factory as a 12v sometime in 1951 or later with a serial number starting 23##### and would not have needed to be converted as the dealer has suggested.

If you do have a long starter motor casting but the dealer has sold you a tractor which is registered as earlier than 1951 and/or has a serial number lower than 20######## then you may have a later tractor with an earlier ID.

As H says 6v and 12 v blocks and gearboxes are not interchangeable.
Fender96

Postby Moose » Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am

You might want to read my experience with a similar problem. Only so that you are fully prepared. As Hiawatha said, it sounds a lot like a spun bearing, which I had. Listen to my video on the first page. You should not just change bearings without assessing the crankshaft for possible machining. I had to have the crankshaft welded-up for re-machingg and find a used connecting rod because of the spun bearing. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2309&hilit=engine+knock
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby Fender96 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Fender96 wrote:
Mr gear wrote:Thanks for the advice.

It is hard to see but from the video it looks like the bellhousing casting could be for a 12v (long) starter motor rather than the shorter 6v one.

44D2D722-ED76-4602-9E0A-8B76F8432B80.png

If so, then your tractor would have left the factory as a 12v sometime in 1951 or later with a serial number starting 23##### and would not have needed to be converted as the dealer has suggested.

If you do have a long starter motor casting but the dealer has sold you a tractor which is registered as earlier than 1951 and/or has a serial number lower than 20######## then you may have a later tractor with an earlier ID.

As H says 6v and 12 v blocks and gearboxes are not interchangeable.

Edit serial # 20####### Not 23########
Fender96

Postby Mr gear » Wed May 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Sorry i dont know why i said 12v "upgrade", its just a 12v, he didnt say it was upgraded. Its a 1955
Im really undecided what to do, keep changing my mind.

Interesting thread moose, i hope a dont open such a large can of worms as you did, but if i do its all good fun,

I paid £1900 for it, which is overpriced for a fergie that needs an engine rebuild
If i can get the dealer to adjust the price accordingly, i think i should do a full rebuild. Its done then.
I was thinking of asking him to give me a full rebuild kit and oil pump, but even then its probably still overpriced, i think. Not really sure on value as not been looking at the market that long.
What do you guys think, would a rebuild kit make it worth the money then?
Mr gear

Postby Mr gear » Wed May 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Also can someone recommend a good service manual
Thanks
Mr gear

PreviousNext

Return to General Ferguson Discussion