PTO Overrun Clutches

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Re: PTO Overrun Clutches

Postby Grunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

Not having independent hydraulics and PTO must be the biggest draw back for the TE20. There were a few different types that were produced but I don’t know of any that are available now. One that comes to mind involves extended pins in the lift arms and bars that pivot on the top link and locate under the extended pins, I’ve a photo somewhere I see if I can find it.
Grunt

Postby Moose » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:I wish my topper stayed up after switching off the machine, mine falls fairly slowly, waiting more info from informed members. Would I have to renew all parts of the pump or a particular part to correct this slow decent?

I snatched these comments by the foremost Ferguson authority, from another forum, John(UK).

It is wear that causes the system to leak down, it wasn't designed to leak down like that.When there is wear the pressure will escape wherever it can. If it will hold up a 2 bottom plow (500lbs) for 10 mins that is acceptable, in work the Pump will be able to take care of that leakage, more than that it will not be able to maintain a constant depth. Why do you need it to hold up anyway, you should never park the tractor with an implement in the raised position without the Engine running, if you do this it can help the Control Valve to stick, more-so if the Pump has done a lot of work..John(UK).
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby Joe90 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Ha, I was thinking the same thing about making up a chain and hook that I could hook on to stop it falling, particularly good when I make/get a carry all to go on the back.
Joe90

Postby Joe90 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Right, I am ready to put the PTO adapter/clutch on but there is no way of fixing this to the PTO shaft coming out the diff casing.?...the previous adapter had a bolt through it and the shaft but this adapter/clutch has no such hole. It would appear with the sliding mech in the PTO shaft it could fall off. Answers please.
Joe90

Postby Joe90 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 am

Also it appears my PTO shaft is too long,!,,, when I attach the topper/slasher on the machine the PTO shaft cannot be fitted as it’s too long, I guess I could pull the machine back a bit then insert the shaft but will be pushing on the PTO shaft all the time :sad:
Joe90

Postby Fender96 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:11 am

Joe90 wrote:Also it appears my PTO shaft is too long,!,,, when I attach the topper/slasher on the machine the PTO shaft cannot be fitted as it’s too long, I guess I could pull the machine back a bit then insert the shaft but will be pushing on the PTO shaft all the time :sad:

Joe90 wrote:Right, I am ready to put the PTO adapter/clutch on but there is no way of fixing this to the PTO shaft coming out the diff casing.?...the previous adapter had a bolt through it and the shaft but this adapter/clutch has no such hole. It would appear with the sliding mech in the PTO shaft it could fall off. Answers please.

I haven’t got to the stage of actually connecting the pto of my new topper yet but my understanding is that the clutch will either fit with a pin/bolt for which you will need a hole in the shaft or a quick release mechanism which will require a groove in the shaft to match the QR pin?

I also believe that shortening the PTO shaft connecting the tractor to the topper is required with an overrun clutch fitted.

I sure a “grown up” will be along shortly to confirm or correct my understanding.

Good luck! :)
Fender96

Postby Joe90 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 am

HA, ALL SORTED, the over run clutch came with no instructions but on taking the two grease nipples out there is a hole right through that lines up with the hole in the PTO shaft, it came with a spring pin that you drive through it all to hold it in place then replace the grease nipples, grease and away you go.

The PTO shaft was not too long, just the safety outer cover, I removed 2” of that and it all fits together nicely. :dance:
Joe90

Postby whitehillbillies » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Good work.
Happy Mowing. Watch out for those Easter Bunnies.

whb
whitehillbillies

Postby Fender96 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 pm

UPoneacre wrote:FWIW I found a supplier of the QR type o'run couplers with 1 1/8 in/1 3/8" output in Leominster, Herefordshire some five years ago - don't know if they're still about but might be worth a try:

Amtex Ltd; 'info@amtexltd.co.uk'. The contact I dealt with was Stephen Griffiths - tel: 01568 720302.

Not cheap - bit under £77 then inc delivery, but easy to use if you need to retain the original size shaft.

Btw I'm near Llanidloes - feel free to pm me if I can be of any help.

Rob

I gave them a call but the number was dead. Website still active but pretty minimalist and no live links.

Not sure they are still active. A pity. :(
Last edited by Fender96 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fender96

Postby Fender96 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Hiawatha wrote:There are also over run clutches that are 1,1/8th on one end and 1, 3/8ths on the other this does away with the need for any adapter . A mild steel bolt is fine for securing them on , no need to resort to a roll pin , yes they can be difficult to remove . Just make sure it is mild so it can shear if it needs to , not too long so it won't catch on a sleeve or trouser leg and is snug so it doesn't flog out the hole in the shaft . Secure the end with a lock nut and make sure the head is substantial enough so you can lever the bolt out if it gets stuck .

After thinking about all of this far too much and failing to find a 1 3/8ths - 1 3/8ths QR adaptor, I have gone for a 1 1/8th - 1 3/8ths non - QR overrun clutch which arrived this afternoon.

30900C61-717F-4D0D-A4C9-D96E7F6B0669.jpeg
30900C61-717F-4D0D-A4C9-D96E7F6B0669.jpeg (192.42 KiB) Viewed 220 times

I want to be able to remove the adaptor so I’ll secure it with a bolt (Hiawatha’s advice re mild steel noted) an M8 bolt seems to be a reasonable fit - any better suggestions?

I also got a shorter pto cover which will clear the “churn carrier” type link box.

10105495-C166-4997-96B5-4A33023CDA91.jpeg
10105495-C166-4997-96B5-4A33023CDA91.jpeg (176.8 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Fender96

PreviousNext

Return to General Ferguson Discussion