numbers on tractor

This is the place for general Fergie chat..

Re: numbers on tractor

Postby Chgperformance » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am

What doesn’t help is the idiot that put the logbook on it didn’t even think about checking dates. Had the logbook been from 1953 it would of been near impossible to prove it was the wrong one I guess.
Chgperformance

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:15 pm

The misidentification of TED tractors as diesels is quite common amongst those new to Ferguson nomenclature and so it isn't drawing too long a bow to suggest that whomever paired the TED log book up with a diesel tractor made the same mistake .
The only certain conclusion that can be drawn from the cold hard evidence is that the back end was cast in 1953 and so was the engine block . Otherwise it would need a close inspection to determine if the entire tractor was a genuine unit . It is most probable that it is, so there is little to moan about except the log book ,what that may have added to the initial price and how much more registration will cost without it .

The serial number is paramount when it comes to identifying the day it was made so I can't help with that .
The best advice I can give is to apply to the Friends of Ferguson Heritage who run a registration service ;
http://www.fofh.co.uk/registration.htm
I am not sure if the requirement for the serial number is mandatory for age related plates , try e mailing them . For £37 it might just be worth it to save you further angst .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby White Wolf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 am

Can somebody please explain to me what the tractor tax is required for. We only need to pay a registration tax if the tractor is used on public roads. Are you required to pay tax to use your tractor on your property?
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Grunt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 am

It’s a road tax. If you only use a vehicle on private land you don’t need it, though if it’s already been registered you have to either tax it or Sorn (statuary off road notice) it. Even though road tax is free on vehicles over 40 years old and agricultural vehicles you still have to apply for it. To get road tax the vehicle has to be insured and have a current MoT certificate ( Ministry of Transport certificate of roadworthyness). Vehicles registered before 1972 and agricultural vehicles are exempt from the MoT. My dates might be a bit dodgy but you get the idea.

To get a vehicle registered i.e. to get a number plate you have to prove that it is what you say it is, hence serial numbers and confirmation of age letters from recognised associations. Otherwise you’d get all the ner do wells claiming a stolen Bugatti Veyron is a 1920 BSA side valve.

All the red tape is an attempt to stop criminals avoiding tax, driving uninsured vehicles, ringing vehicles etc etc.
Grunt

Postby White Wolf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you for your reply. Fortunately where I live we don't have annual road worthiness inspections, they are only undertaken when transferring registration/ownership or if you are defected by the police.
Best of luck cutting through the red tape.
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby TEF20IRL » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Looks like you bought a two for one offer there, a ted book and a tef tractor!

Im trying to get a replacement book for mine at the minute but its tricky when you dont have a full set of numbers!

Ill PM you
TEF20IRL

Previous

Return to General Ferguson Discussion