Firewood stacking in the US

Discuss anything here.. except tractors and steam engines..

Re: Firewood stacking in the US

Postby Chgperformance » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Grunt wrote:Easter was always the time of year for filling the log store for next winter so the wood was well seasoned. But with wood chippers getting more powerful and more people getting wood burners free tree wood is getting almost impossible to find so I have to buy it ready logged, which isn’t cheap but as far as I’m concerned well worth it, a proper fire seems to give off a different heat. It’s a shame I don’t have an excuse to buy a cord wood saw for the Fergie.

Is that a cat you’re chopping up in that last pic H.

I would LOVE to find a fergie bench saw! I have sooooo much wood to cut up. Don’t think B&Q can cope with my 4 or 5 returns each year of broken chain saws :lol:
Chgperformance

Postby Grunt » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:47 am

I have a look every now and again but they always seem to be at daft buy it now prices. I made the mistake of buying a Lidl chainsaw, used it once and bent the crank, so I bought a McCulloch which is or was part of the Husquvarna group. That didn’t last long before the easy tension gubbins self destructed. I’ve just broken a B&Q electric chainsaw that I’ve had for 20 years, having taken it apart to repair it I’ve just discovered that it was made in Italy by McCulloch.

Any how I’ve decided my back won’t take many more chainsawing stints so I’m back to looking for a cordwood saw.
Grunt

Postby Hiawatha » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:20 am

Moose wrote:Nice work Charles. It would be interesting to see a short video of it in action.

I finally found the time to make a short clip . My first YouTube contribution as well .
https://youtu.be/mkpC3MVxmxQ

I was surprised at just how well it split this nasty curly , stringy grained gum. It seemed to handle the odd knot as well . I wouldnt try it on a forked piece but it handles just about everything I tried as long as the length is less than 400 mm.
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby pcp20us » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 am

Nice, It has a ring of church bells about it. Thats a good job for a 40 C summer day.
TED 20's everywhere
QLD Australia
pcp20us

Postby Grunt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 pm

It certainly looks easier to use than I imagined.
Grunt

Postby White Wolf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:38 pm

Hey Hiawatha, did you do an ad for Oral-B a few years back? :lol:
1950 TEA, 1962 MF35 petrol
White Wolf

Postby Hiawatha » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:41 am

White Wolf wrote:Hey Hiawatha, did you do an ad for Oral-B a few years back? :lol:

Very funny WW :grin:

You are correct in one aspect though , showing my face would have possibly resulted in more than logs splitting .
Hiawatha

Postby Hiawatha » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:06 am

My latest device , something to make cutting branch wood less tedious , easier on the back and safer . An adaptation of a Russian invention many versions of which are shown on Youtube .

Branch cutter 2.jpg
Branch cutter 2.jpg (202.23 KiB) Viewed 247 times

It's simple in operation , the branch pushes sideways against the rod which in turn operates a lever that increases throttle speed . You place the branch onto the top of the chain at idle and once it is dragged onto the rod the engine speed increases and the branch is cut at waist height , hopefully to fall into a waiting barrow below . I find it perfect for the small firewood needed for the slow combustion stove in the cottage and for general cleaning up of windfalls .
The saw cost $2 at the local flea market , a half hour cleaning the carburettor saw it working well enough for this application .
It's a perfect complement to the kinetic woodsplitter I use almost every day .
Hiawatha

Previous

Return to General Discussion