French Fergie

Put you photos of your Fergie here for all to see..

Re: French Fergie

Postby Grunt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 am

I wasn't sure that you would know the Lavalette pump
I don’t, I’m winging it, and if anything did escape I’m far enough away not to need any protection.

You can get lockwire off eBay. If the nuts were external I’d be tempted to say use any old wire because you can see if it’s failed. But because your not likely to see these nuts again unless they come off, I’d try and get hold of the proper stuff. How can you be so precise as to what time you found the loose nut.

What is it with you Ex Pats and coffee, see Hal Merciers posts. Though I reckon the Boggles have got him again.

I imagine that the process is the same with paper gaskets, though possibly a little less... perfumed.
Pretty much but, because the gaskets a lot thinner, rubbing a coffee stained thumb over the bit you would tap with a hammer creates a line you can cut along with scissors or a knife. And you get to find where “they” hide the sharp things. The smell is entirely down to you.

On mine there was one axle housing to transmission nut that was thinner than the rest. This was because there was an extra egg shaped washertypething on the stud with a chain fitted to a hole in it which retained the lower lift pin clevis pin. On yours they could have fitted a longer stud and a standard nut. It’s on the top right hand side.
Grunt

Postby Grunt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:26 pm

2CCD23B6-377E-4006-95D7-48817CB67DA7.jpeg
2CCD23B6-377E-4006-95D7-48817CB67DA7.jpeg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Grunt

Postby stiv » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Thank you for the photo Grunt. The stud [i]was[i] from the RH side and I have the same egg shaped washertypething in the pot of bolts/studs from that side - mine has no chain attached and in fact the egg shaped washertypething has no top with a hole because it is broken off, as if made ready for dunking a soldier into the yolk.

I shall take your advice about the lock wire, and get some (and gasket paper). I don't see any obvious holes in the bolts, though they are a little dirty still, so I guess I'll have to turn the nut to the right position to insert the wire.

OFF TOPIC, although still nuts and bolts, lots of nuts and bolts, I spent some time yesterday with my other patient, the Deutz D6006, and have just about got to the stage where I can remove the crankshaft. Just these cogwheely things on the RH side (the oil pump I believe) to get off and it should pop out (remains to be seen about the popping out bit...) and I can take it in to be re-ground.
Deutz bottom end-600x411.jpg
Deutz bottom end-600x411.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 291 times

I am getting quite good at nuts and bolts, though I say it myself, but the proof of the pudding is, of course, in the bottom of an empty bucket of bits after rebuild (if indeed a bucket with no bits in still counts as a bucket of bits...?!).
stiv

Previous

Return to Fergie Gallery