rollin' rollin' rollin'

Tell us about your Fergie and what it's used for..

rollin' rollin' rollin'

Postby theblacksmith » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm

So Gussy did her first bit of work this afternoon rolling the driest of the paddocks. :dance:

After replacing the piston rings last month it was the first long drive to the horses yard, with some fairly meaty hills to get up. we managed them all in top gear too!

The only concern I have is low oil pressure when up to temp for a while. There is plenty when cold and for the first 20/30 minutes but drops almost to low on the gauge after this. I have SAE30 in the engine as the manual states, any ideas?

Trystan
"For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle." Sir Winston Churchill
theblacksmith

Re: rollin' rollin' rollin'

Postby Hiawatha » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Love that cover Trystan , I had forgotten just how good it is .

Lower pressure once heated is to be expected but this does sound as if it is too low . Have you adjusted the oil pressure relief valve a little ? Try this if you haven't , a turn or two down may be enough . Otherwise try a slightly heavier grade of oil , I'm not sure what 30 weight equates to , I use 15W40 in my TED and 20w50 in the FE35 .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby theblacksmith » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Hiawatha wrote:Love that cover Trystan , I had forgotten just how good it is .

Mother excelled herself with the cover!! I have also go round to putting some brass eyes in it so it can be attached! I'd like to find a printing company that could put the Ferguson logo on it too.

Re low oil pressure, I will have a look at adjusting that, it should be in my manual somewhere its not using or loosing oil so hopefully nothing major!

Trystan
"For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle." Sir Winston Churchill
theblacksmith

Postby Hiawatha » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:59 am

Easy enough to do . Loosen lock nut and screw down a bit at a time . From new about eight threads are visible , try leaving six first and see how it goes . Fuel contamination can ruin oil too , be sure the engine isn' t running rich or the float is set too high.
There is a lead washer under the pressure relief screw . This disintegrates with time . You can use a red fibre plumbing washer in its place .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Grunt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 am

Was that uphill in fourth with the roller bouncing along behind!
Grunt

Postby theblacksmith » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Hiawatha wrote:Easy enough to do . Loosen lock nut and screw down a bit at a time . From new about eight threads are visible , try leaving six first and see how it goes . Fuel contamination can ruin oil too , be sure the engine isn' t running rich or the float is set too high.
There is a lead washer under the pressure relief screw . This disintegrates with time . You can use a red fibre plumbing washer in its place .

Thanks I shall have a look at that. After the awesome carb overhaul video Bundy Bear posted I’ve ordered a kit to do mine so will replace the washers

Grunt wrote:Was that uphill in fourth with the roller bouncing along behind!

Haha no roller attached as that was already at the yard. Did have a few close calls with cars deciding to overtake in the most rediculous places!
theblacksmith

Return to Your Fergie Experiences