Howard/Ferguson Rotavator

Do you have any interesting implements to use with your Fergie?
Grunt
England

Howard/Ferguson Rotavator

Post by Grunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Here's some pics of my rotavator. I've had the same trouble with finding internet info on this as I had with the reduction box. Just editing this to say there is a fair amount of info in the downloads bit of this forum. Thanks Norvin.

It took three weekends of mucking about trying to get it mounted to the tractor. It wasn't 'till I discovered a blob of weld in one of the mounting stud holes that was stopping the stud going in it that I managed to get it bolted up.
IMG_2406_opt.jpg
IMG_2406_opt.jpg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
IMG_2408_opt.jpg
IMG_2408_opt.jpg (99.74 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
IMG_2407_opt.jpg
IMG_2407_opt.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 4036 times

I've quite a few bits to make, bush to house the PTO drive dog,bushes to mount the top stays to the holes in the top of the transmission lugs, bush and pin for the top link, bracket to fasten the right hand rotavator bracket to the axle and some sort of bottom bracket to bolt the main rotavator housing to the pick up hitch studs. The rotavator instructions show a saddle that moves the lift point of the right hand connecting rod further along the lift arm. I can't work out why they would want to do this, as far as I can work out there would be more chance of the lift arm making contact with the axle and overloading the hydraulics.
Last edited by Grunt on Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tractoral

Re: Howard/Ferguson Rotavator

Post by tractoral » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 am

If you ever wish to sell the lot(tractor,reduction gearbox,rotavator) as a until id be interested,

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:28 pm

tractoral wrote:If you ever wish to sell the lot(tractor,reduction gearbox,rotavator) as a until id be interested,
I'm afraid you'll have a long wait. I'll be using it until I'm so knackered I can't climb onto it..........That'll be a month or two then!

Hiawatha
Australia

Post by Hiawatha » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 am

I would have thought you would need to prise the key from Grunt's cold dead hand before he would let go of that one :lol: .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:43 pm

It bloody well works. Don't tell the Missus I chomped her daffodil bulbs in.
IMG_2475_opt.jpg
IMG_2475_opt.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
IMG_2474_opt.jpg
IMG_2474_opt.jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
IMG_2470_opt.jpg
IMG_2470_opt.jpg (96.27 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
I still need to make the lower support bracket. I don't fancy taking the pick up hitch studs out to fit a bolt every time I fit the rotavator so I'm trying to design something that will do the same job without taking the stud out.

fergie rab

Post by fergie rab » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi all I have one of those rotavators we have the plate on the link arm its to increase the lift and there is a lever that attachs to the right hand guard to put it in and out of gear

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Ey up Rab.

I've a few questions and a request.

I'm on with making the lever and bracket but not quite sure of it's shape or size.

Do you have the torsion bolts that go underneath the transmission housing, fastening to the pick up hitch studs?

With the plate on the lift arm increasing the lift, doesn't the lift arm touch the underneath of the axle housing. With my adjustable connecting rod wound up as short as possible in it's normal position on the lift arm the lift arm will hit the axle. I was wondering if by moving the rod further down the length of the arm it would increase the lifting capacity of the hydraulics. While mucking about on my allotment with the rotavator there was a couple of times when I got the rotavator buried so deep the hydraulics wouldn't lift it.

Now for the request. Any chance of some photos of the lever, torsion bolts and the link arm plate.

Grunt
England

Post by Grunt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 pm

My spud plot after rotavating. Sorry no before pics but it had more than the usual winters growth of weeds due to the mild weather we had.
IMG_2477_opt(1).jpg
IMG_2477_opt(1).jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
IMG_2476_opt.jpg
IMG_2476_opt.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
One area in the foreground of the first pic had more than its fair share of muck which was quite claggy, so it ended up a bit lumpier than the rest.

It took a bit of practice letting the clutch out and lowering the hydraulics for the tines to enter the soil in the place I wanted them to enter the soil. but I got there in the end and was quite impressed by the results.

theblacksmith

Post by theblacksmith » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 pm

Looks like it does a lovely job!! You must be pleased!!

Trystan
"For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle." Sir Winston Churchill

Norvin

Post by Norvin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:38 am

Methinks I detect a very chuffed Grunt, and rightly so!