Oil comeing out of air intake when running

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Oil comeing out of air intake when running

Postby lotusesprit1 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi,i wonder if anyone can help.I bought a part restored T20 petrol paraffin.When running it has clean fresh engine oil comeing out of the air intake,it is not burning oil,no smoke.My worst fear is that the engine has been put together without scraper rings.It is also popping in the exhaust.Can anyone please advise,thanking you,Fred Farrell.
lotusesprit1

Re: Oil comeing out of air intake when running

Postby Hiawatha » Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Welcome Fred :smile:

The ' popping ' is symptomatic of poor rocker cover venting , I suppose this might be building enough pressure to force air out of the intake . I hope it isn't rings as you suspect .
First things first , is the air filter oil bath over filled ? no more than up to the fill level inside the bowl and make sure the small holes that allow oil into the centre reservoir aren't filled in .

Dirty oil after three hours running.JPG
Dirty oil after three hours running.JPG (46.6 KiB) Viewed 239 times

The mesh should be clean , not just washed out but removed , unrolled , cleaned and put back , they can look like blocks of wood when really dirty.

Air filter clogged  2 .jpg
Air filter clogged 2 .jpg (121.68 KiB) Viewed 239 times

[pcp's photo ]

If this is all ok then look to the rocker cover vent ,

Air breather valve.JPG
Air breather valve.JPG (59.58 KiB) Viewed 239 times

breather valve.JPG
breather valve.JPG (24.8 KiB) Viewed 239 times

This valve is the source of popping and fating on most TED engines , it needs to be complete , unblocked and working. It isn't hard to replace any missing bits , the pin is just a bent paper clip , the disc a small coin filed down to fit .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Re: Oil comeing out of air intake when running

Postby Moose » Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Welcome Fred. When you have a minute, do not forget to tell us a bit about you and your tractor in the Member Introductions section. We also require photos. :wink: :lol:

Here is a link to some popping that I was experiencing. Is this what your's sounds like? There is a Youtube link part way down the page. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3040&start=40

As you will see in my discussion your problems could be timing related or carby related too.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Return to Restoration questions and answers