Rebuild in progress

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Re: Rebuild in progress

Postby John V » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Moose wrote:I was going to direct you to the 260 tractor engineer site, but it appears to be gone. What a shame. I had a lot of great info.

Anyway, he had an item where he complained about the rubbish that some companies are putting out. If I remember correctly, he found the Sparex rear main seal to be of better quality. I have the same problem. I overhauled my engine last summer, and the rear main is leaking like a sieve. I may oreder several brands to compare and choose.

From what I have read, the Triumph seal mod. did not work in the Triumph, so likely won't work in a Fergie. :smile:

Moose,I have sparex seal on order since the other failed to do it's job.I may have a problem with the two plates that cover and hold the seal in,I think there out of shape and are not holding the seal in with even pressure.Its a good job I decided to run it before painting and it's a bit of a pain splitting it yesterday but I don't like oil leaks.The seal is sealing on the crank but it's the outer housing side that leaks.
John V

Postby Moose » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 pm

For reference, that was supposed to be the 1260 tractor engineer. :roll:

Yes, those 2 plates should be flat. How are the felts? Any leaking there?
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby John V » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Moose wrote:For reference, that was supposed to be the 1260 tractor engineer. :roll:

Yes, those 2 plates should be flat. How are the felts? Any leaking there?

The felts are spot on.The only other leak I have is from the sump oil Strainer ,looks like some permatex aviation gasket for that.I thought the front timing cover seal would leak but it's all good too.
John V

Postby John V » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 am

Is holding an engine at 45 degrees a bad way to look for crank seal leaks as their is a drain hole under the seal where oil will come up and pour out under the seal between the housing and seal ?.The seal only seals on the crank and on the housing at the back and not around the edge.Am I righ in saying this?
John V

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I am a little confused. If your tractor is all assembled, how do you know what is leaking where? The only way to see the leak with certainty is to do a split and run the engine.

How/why are you getting the engine at a 45 degree angle? Still confused! :? :smile: Anyway, it will take a while for enough oil to accumulate to get to the weep hole.

Why/how are you certain that the felts are not leaking?

The seal seals to the crankshaft bearing surface and around the edges. Remember, the oil is at full pressure here.
Moose

Postby John V » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Moose wrote:I am a little confused. If your tractor is all assembled, how do you know what is leaking where? The only way to see the leak with certainty is to do a split and run the engine.

How/why are you getting the engine at a 45 degree angle? Still confused! :? :smile: Anyway, it will take a while for enough oil to accumulate to get to the weep hole.

Why/how are you certain that the felts are not leaking?

The seal seals to the crankshaft bearing surface and around the edges. Remember, the oil is at full pressure here.

Moose I split it Saturday and put another seal on and I have it sitting at an angle with a little drip coming out under the seal barley noticeable but it’s their all the same. The felt seals are good as you can see in the photo. The thinking I have is that with the engine at an angle the oil can come up through the little drain hole in the bearing cap and out under the seal as the seal is a loose fit and is only sealing at the back and around the crankshaft. When you fit your crank seal was it a loose fit around the edges? as mine is. Hope I am making sense :oops:T he washers are only temporary as that seal will be changed again,Thanks for your patience lads.
Attachments
JPEG image 16.jpeg
JPEG image 16.jpeg (33.15 KiB) Viewed 472 times
JPEG image 15.jpeg
JPEG image 15.jpeg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 472 times
John V

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:32 pm

I am thinking that it should seal on the shaft and the outer surface as well. The 2 piece plate is just to hold it in snugly. But, it has been a year since I did mine. And I will have to do exactly what you are doing shortly.

One source of leak though is the split in the seal. Did you get the split on the up side? That is, the up side when it is on the tractor. Because, I think most of us install it with the block inverted. Just a thought.

Assessing the leak potential without the engine running is tough because you would normally have max oil pressure here. Thinking out loud, could you put the flywheel and starter back on, pull the plugs and turn the engine over enough to get oil pressure???

Another thought, no offence intended, you did get the seal in the right way around? Open side in?

I cannot stop thinking about this problem. :smile: :?: I do not see why you could not put some none hardening sealant on the outside of the seal. Here is a link to more discussion... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2500&hilit=rear+main+seal

Did you manage to replace the seal without removing the oil pan and bearing block?
Moose

Postby John V » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Yes I got the seal in no problem with heating it in hot water and greasing the crank and bearing housing and turned it at a slight angle and pushed it in with a blunt tool,that’s no problem.I was out again looking at those plates and I think it’s a big part of the problem, their not sitting flat, they look flat but when they are bolted down they don’t sit flat.I have a mate digging two out for me.I asked him about sealing the back with sealant and if looks could kill,I be dead :grin: He told me that he always had great success with the seals he installed over the years.I installed the seal with joint at 12 oclock and open side in. Thanks for the link and I will have a read :thumbsup:
John V

Postby Moose » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 pm

I am not thinking of sealing the back of the seal, where it meets the plates. I might use sealant on the face parallel to the crankshaft.
Moose

Postby John V » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Moose wrote:I am not thinking of sealing the back of the seal, where it meets the plates. I might use sealant on the face parallel to the crankshaft.

Yes I know what you saying,I was talking the same way but was informed "thats not the way it should be "so I put it out of my head.
John V

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration questions and answers