TEA 20 1949 Rebuild

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Re: TEA 20 1949 Rebuild

Postby Saltyseas » Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 am

John/C@sp@r

Quick update.. I have spoken to the company who supplied the rebuild kit and they have informed me that the gaskets for the 80mm don't exist so they ship the 85mm.... great !
Success comes from curiosity, concentration, perseverance and self criticism.

Albert Einstein

1949 TEA (WIP nut/bolt rebuild) 1954 TED
Saltyseas

Postby Hiawatha » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 am

I would be tempted to tell the supplier to stick their gaskets where the ' Sun doesn't shine '

I am fairly certain that the correct ' spectacle / figure eight ' copper gaskets for the 80mm engines are available from Bareco Australia .
White Wolf might be able to confirm this , a pm might be in order .
I have a bundle of new old stock gaskets somewhere , they are a mix of copper/ some type of zinc ? and fibre variations , six or eight different paper ,fibre and metal in all ,they seem to work from all accounts but I certainly would prefer to use copper if available .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby Saltyseas » Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am

Hiwatha/John/C@sp'r

Had a look at the Bareco site but can't seem to find any. I have been to another supplier and we went through a stack of gaskets from different batches (all for TE20). Found one set that is a close fit and at least sits 75% on the machined surface of the block. I have also put out a general request on another board (uk board) to see if anyone can help.

Now having additional problems trying to get 4 13/16 (122mm) cylinder head studs which are also for 80mm engines.

Thanks all for your help.
Success comes from curiosity, concentration, perseverance and self criticism.

Albert Einstein

1949 TEA (WIP nut/bolt rebuild) 1954 TED
Saltyseas

Previous

Return to Restoration questions and answers