Slight Oil leeks on front of TED engine

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Slight Oil leeks on front of TED engine

Postby FergieSam87 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am

I have recently bought a tvo TED20. It's in good condition with everything working well. I just have a few things I want to do to it before I use it much.

It has a slight Oil leeks on the front of the engine somewhere. Obviously the fan has blown the oil about over time making it hard to see where it's coming from.

I am thinking of pressure washing the area and then trying to see where it's coming from. I wounder if anyone has an idea of where the leek is coming from and if there are any come reason why it would leek. Maybe needs a seel or gasket replacing?
FergieSam87

Re: Slight Oil leeks on front of TED engine

Postby whitelion58 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 am

In my, limited, experience all the black filth accumulating on the front of the engine is usually from the water pump which tends to liberally spread its grease around. Other than that the obvious candidate is the front crank seal in the timing cover.
whitelion58

Postby Moose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:52 am

I agree. Fergies tend to leak anyway. I would not pull it apart just to change a weepy crank gasket. Wait til you need to address something more serious.
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby FergieSam87 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:57 pm

A few months later... I have decided to replace the front oil seal. I am pleased I have decided to do so as the timing chain is very slack and the governon weight is broken. So I am going to replace these to.

I have made a silly mistake and taken the old seal out a few months ago and now trying to put the new one in I am not sure which way around it goes it. Is anyone able to help? I can't seem to find anything on the Internet which shows which way around to put it in. It has a raised rim on one side of the seal. I need to find out if this should face towards the engine or the other way. It looks like it would go in both ways but obviously there is a correct way of putting it in. Should of photo the removal more carfully I know! Please is anyone able to help
FergieSam87

Postby Grunt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 am

If it’s a standard seal with one open (hollow) side then this side faces inwards, the flat face faces outwards.
Grunt

Postby Michael QLD OZ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am

I am sure that Grunt is right, but pictures always help us see what you mean.
Michael QLD OZ

Postby John V » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:43 pm

If their is a spring in the seal it should face the oil.
John V

Return to Restoration questions and answers