Removing TEA20 Brake Drums

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Removing TEA20 Brake Drums

Postby K1275blue » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi,
I've got several queries about removing a the brake drums on my TEA20.

The 2 drum screws had seized so I drilled out the heads. I used heat from a plumbing-type gas blow lamp, nothing that gets really hot & tried taping it loose from the back. So far no luck. The drum rotates so I don't think the brakes are binding or stuck to the drum.
Now I've got a puller arrangement from 2 sash cramps, a length of aluminium channel & plus gas spray to soak overnight.
This are my questions....

What would you try next?
If the brake shoes are seized onto the drums how do I free them?
Is it OK to tap them from the back with a hammer & cold chisel?
Where could I buy a drum puller? Can they be rented??

Any help would be great!

Regards

Kevin
K1275blue

Re: Removing TEA20 Brake Drums

Postby stiv » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:58 pm

I'd worry about using a cold chisel. I once chipped a lump out of a stuck brake drum on my Deutz by tapping it gently, as I thought , from the back, with a small lump hammer. I'd use a bit of wood, like 2x1, to soften the blow and avoid metal on metal.

Tapping from the rear, working around the drum to bring it off evenly, is what I did with mine, and they came off, but patience is also a friend in these cases. Worth double checking that the brake adjustment nuts are well backed off too, as even a slight pressure from the shoes can make it difficult to get the drums off I found, and I'd grease the studs and hubs as well.

Good luck!
stiv

Postby rosco » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 am

Can you heat up the break drum with a hot air gun, it worked for me, a glancing blow from a hammer
could smash the drum
rosco

Postby K1275blue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks Rosco & Stiv, I'll try both
Kevin
K1275blue

Postby Hiawatha » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:24 pm

It's obviously stuck to the hub and most likely by corrosion , that is a large surface area and the holding power is immense .
It sounds like the wrong thing to do but it is worth trying ; hit it on the face of the drum back towards the hub with a soft hammer or mallet and wood block . What you are trying to do is break the rust bond between the two flat surfaces . By belting it [ in a gentle and caring way :lol: ] you can crush this and hopefully make it crumble and release . Other areas that really bond are directly around the drum set screws and the centre opening as well as around the wheel studs, use a small punch [ a piece of copper or brass rod won't leave dimple marks in the drum ] and hit around these areas many times , again in the hope that this will break the bond , this time at the edges of the drum openings .
After this release fluid and persuasion from the rear should move it along .
-------- 1952 TED, 1957 FE35 Grey and Gold Deluxe
Hiawatha

Postby rosco » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 am

Hi Kevin
Did you manage to remove your break drums.
Thanks
Rosco
rosco

Return to Restoration questions and answers