The beginning of a long road

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Re: The beginning of a long road

Postby Jordhandson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks Hiawatha, yes its handy having a blasting cabinet, a quick wash in the parts washer to get the crud off then a a bit of a blast. I only have a small cabinet say 3X2 feet but its perfect for all the little ferguson bits.

Jord
Jordhandson

Postby Jordhandson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:53 pm

I got the lift arms all free and back on temporary and working a treat I done little video if anyone would like to see it it is on u tube here https://youtu.be/BnkgyTGN1ww

Also got a vid of the start up https://youtu.be/AsV97X2Rets

You will have to excuse the quality and dad lol

Cheers Jord
Jordhandson

Postby Moose » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Very nice. :thumbsup:
1950 Tea 2080, 1951 Tea 2085
:bearded:
Moose

Postby Grunt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Excellent vids, impressed with the background music it takes me back a few years.
Grunt

Postby Jordhandson » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

I am still progressing with the cleaning mainly of the parts that i can take off almost there.
AQR_0650c.jpg
AQR_0650c.jpg (135.99 KiB) Viewed 173 times

AQR_0651c.jpg
AQR_0651c.jpg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Today I had a good day with the blasting cabinet got a lot of the smaller parts done.
_DC20694c.jpg
_DC20694c.jpg (168.28 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I am beginning to think of paint having never done a Ferguson T before I have pulled out all of the gubbins from the bell housing I was thinking (tell me if I am wrong) giving the inside a good clean with the mini grinder wire wheel then giving it a coat of paint in there (not gloss I have some old etching primer left over from a job) , there was no paint there before and it looks a bit oxidized,
AQR_0648c.jpg
AQR_0648c.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

Cheers Jord
Jordhandson

Postby Jordhandson » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Grunt wrote:Excellent vids, impressed with the background music it takes me back a few years.

:thumbsup: Cheers Grunt I had to got back and turn up the vid lol I was Zoned out
Jordhandson

Postby Grunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:29 pm

I just sprayed the first two or three inches inside my bell housing, to my mind there’s no real need to paint all of it just the parts that could come into contact with the engine.

I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs but H&S would have a fit if they caught you blasting aluminium with the same blast medium you’ve use for ferrous metals. As far as I can work out it’s because any ferrous particles coming through the gun could cause a spark which could ignite the alloy dust and could cause an explosion. I’ve never heard of it happening, but have heard the expression on lighting a fire “it went up like an explosion in a custard factory” which always amuses me but usually needs an explanation.
Grunt

Postby Jordhandson » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Grunt wrote:I just sprayed the first two or three inches inside my bell housing, to my mind there’s no real need to paint all of it just the parts that could come into contact with the engine.

I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs but H&S would have a fit if they caught you blasting aluminium with the same blast medium you’ve use for ferrous metals. As far as I can work out it’s because any ferrous particles coming through the gun could cause a spark which could ignite the alloy dust and could cause an explosion. I’ve never heard of it happening, but have heard the expression on lighting a fire “it went up like an explosion in a custard factory” which always amuses me but usually needs an explanation.

Cheers Grunt your right on the painting just my ott madness.

On the blasting as I only have one cabinet at the moment I have to totally clean one medium out before I use another ie steel grit for the steel parts then cleaned out thoroughly as you wouldn't want any steel grit hitting ally or brass then refilled with glass to do the ally and brass. Its a bit of faffing about but the result you get is worth it, normally I gather up a few bits of ally or brass that need cleaning for good few hours on glass.
Father has just picked me up another cabinet a Guyson super 9 thats been extended I am hoping to cut it back to it original size as its a bit to big at the moment lol.
AQR_0350c.jpg
AQR_0350c.jpg (252.61 KiB) Viewed 161 times

I am hoping to eventually have a separate cabinet for the steel blasting one for glass and another with some ally medium.

Cheers
Jord
Jordhandson

Postby Grunt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 pm

The middle bit is like the one I used occasionally, the medium was that old it was more a case of caressing than blasting.
Grunt

Postby Jordhandson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Grunt wrote:The middle bit is like the one I used occasionally, the medium was that old it was more a case of caressing than blasting.

Father had one years ago then he sold it when I went off to collage, he always regretted selling it as was so useful with the size. Old medium bin there a few times its just like shooting talc.
Jordhandson

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration questions and answers