Slow Turner.. Why?

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Re: Slow Turner.. Why?

Postby Grunt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am

If mine doesn’t start in the first few cranks it slows down considerably, this only happens in colder weather and I put it down to battery condition though it could be a common occurrence.

I can’t see it being lack of oil because it turns over easily enough without compression.

Have you managed to get it running sat all since the rebuild.
Grunt

Postby Lampy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 pm

I had it running before I replaced the pistons and rings, though it was running like a bag of spanners. It never did that slow turnover before. Oil pump works, spins like billy-o without compression. My brain hurts!
Lampy

Postby Grunt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm

You say you checked the timing was that the valve timing and the injector pump timing. If the engine turns over freely without compression then I can’t see anything mechanically wrong with it other than valve and pump timing or injector spray pattern.
Grunt

Postby Lampy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:10 pm

I've set the valve timing as per the manual, and seemingly no difference. I have the injectors pipes off to eliminate fuel. I have an agri engineer friend coming to have a look Friday so maybe he'll spot the discrepancy. Thanks for the reply
Lampy

Postby John V » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Have you got the conrods facing the right way around ,their is a back and a front.But you may know this already.
John V

Postby Lampy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:19 pm

You know, you've put a shred of doubt in my mind now.. I might have to pop the sump and check. I couldn't swear by it. Is there an offset on the con-rods that requires them to be oriented or is it an oil channel thing? I'm willing to check any avenue!
Lampy

Postby John V » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:39 am

In order 1 to the front and 2,3 and 4 to the back fly wheel.
John V

Postby Lampy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:43 am

Oh the piston order is correct, I thought you were talking about flipping the con-rods around in the crank journal. O had read about that somewhere
Lampy

Postby Wadds1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:41 pm

You state Lampy that it turns over by hand. Is this the case once the slow turning on the starter occurs? If you can turn it by hand it should run on the starter unless its building up crazy compression which would be interesting. A starter has a shitload more grunt than you do by hand. Try doing a cranking voltage test. Do one just across the battery terminals and also check it at the starter. Is an easy test and will give a good indication of what the fault is. should not be really dropping under 9.5 - 10 volts on crank and that would be a max starter load on good battery.

Aerostart?
Wadds1

Postby Lampy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:25 am

It will turn by hand once the slow turning happens on the started, but it's not easy. Takes a bit of oompfh with the bar. As soon as I decompress the head, it spins as easy as anything. Will even keep spinning a half turn or more on its own after I let go if I give it the beans.

I'll do the load test later, but I will not put any aerostart or otherwise in it! That's why it needed new pistons
Lampy

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration questions and answers