Diff Bolts Question

If you are restoring or looking to restore an old Fergie and need advice, this is the place to ask..

Diff Bolts Question

Postby redgiant » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 pm

I have the back end of my TEF all pulled to bits, and I notice that the ring of bolts that appear to hold the large gear to its carrier are loose. They're the bolts that are slot headed on one side and castle nuts on the other. They're all loose by the same amount and there are no split pins either. Is it supposed to be like this :?
redgiant

Re: Diff Bolts Question

Postby John V » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

I have had this with 2 differentials and although the bolts were loose I don't think they would open as their clinched with the castle nut and are very difficult to open,saying that I could not resist replacing them and set the new nuts and bolts with red loctite. Remember if you open them they are useless as the threads will be destroyed on the old bolts,that was my experience.
John V

Postby Bundy Bear » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:21 am

They must be tight or under heavy load they can shear off and the part always seems to want to jump between the crown wheel and the pinion.
1948 TEA, TED, TEF, 1957 FE35 Petrol, JD420 Hi Crop, JD MC Crawler, JD2030, Farmall AMD7, Farmall 100 x 2, Ford 3550 loader,
Bundy Bear

Postby Grunt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 am

Mine were loose as well. I replaced them, loctited and lockwired them. At some point they riveted them together I’m not sure if this was on later or earlier models. If you do replace the bolts make sure they are good quality with 8.8 ( or greater ) embossed on the head.
Grunt

Postby redgiant » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Pulled out the diff there today. On closer inspection I discovered it too is riveted in. Do you I would be as well leaving good enough alone? I mean it's been going fine since 1953??
redgiant

Postby Grunt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 pm

I don’t think I’d fancy leaving it loose. It’s just a matter of time before something gives and the results could be quite nasty.
Grunt

Return to Restoration questions and answers